Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day 1: Seattle to Skykomish

The Trans America route of Journey of Hope 2008 has finally started. After months of preparation, I could tell the team was ready to get on their bikes and head out of Seattle. Of course, before we could leave town, we were given a delicious breakfast by some parents of former Journey of Hope cyclists. I think I can speak for the whole team and say that the hot breakfast was a nice way to send us out of rainy Seattle and into the mountains on a day of record cold for the area. When we left this morning it was warmer in Fairbanks Alaska.

The cycling was tough into the mountains, but our cycling coach Dean Petterson provided us with some great pointers as well as some help with fixing a few problems with out equipment. Overall, the team did great cycling, and we were able to arrive safely in beautiful Skykomish, Washington (population less than 200).

We didn't have a friendship visit today, but I am looking forward to tomorrow's. I know when my legs are burning I think back to what this trip is for and the hope that it offers to some very special people.

Our crew chief Jesse cooked us up a great dinner, and really got the team in a great mood after a long day of riding. It’s going to be a bit different sleeping as a team in a school gym instead of a hotel room, but after today’s ride those air mattresses are looking awfully comfortable.

I’m off to bed. I can’t wait until tomorrow, but I need my sleep!

Nathan Whelan


No comments: