Friday, July 4, 2008

Day 20: Day off in Casper

The team slept in until 10:00 today, which was great and well needed. We had a Kid on the block presentation at a boy and girls club, but I stayed back to watch the bikes and our stuff since we could not lock the room we were staying in. I picked a good event to miss. Apparently half the kids had pink eye, and for lunch the team got a hot pocket and a thing of milk. Let’s just say cyclists eat more than ten year olds.

To remedy the situation our fearless leader Jay drove us to McDonalds, told us to wait in the car, and then walked in and gave the Push America pitch. He came out the conquering hero and told us that we could have either a quarter pounder meal or a two cheeseburger meal for free. It was pretty great.

After that most the team did laundry, or went on bike shop runs. I rested at the school a little more before our friendship visit. When we rolled up, no one was there, and I expected another scheduled friendship visit that turned out to not be a friendship visit. I was wrong though, and got to spend a good amount of time with a young girl named Lisa. Lisa was developmentally disabled and very shy. I got her to come out of her shell though, when we went on the swings at the park we were out. She wiped me out on those swings. If I had a way to send her a trophy for best swinger, I would.

No comments: